Monday 6 September 2010

Yoga and Beer

I used to think Yoga was just a relaxed roll-about on the floor.

A bit like taking a nap on your special mat in nursery.
I wasn’t going to do it because it obviously didn’t involve any sweating.
Then my shoulders started to ache a lot and I worried I was getting arthritis.
“You should do yoga,” the masses advised me.
So I did and I was shocked to find it was the most physically challenging exercise I’d ever done in my life.
Every stretch made my body cry out ‘I’m not meant to be doing this!’
Despite the pain, I’ve taken it up here in Bogotá and I love it.
It’s a two hour session but the teacher always tries to waste a bit of time at the beginning explaining what yoga is.
I mean to arrive late to miss the talking but then I tell myself it’s good for me.
While I’m thinking I’ve heard it all before I’m probably missing something key.
I like the sound of the positions in Spanish, especially Guerrerro* 1 (*Warrior) and Guerrero 2.
With legs firmly on the ground, arms stretching out at each side, eyes focused ahead and Indian music playing in the background, there is a moment where I think I’m Arjuna (from the Mahabharata).
A whole enemy army awaits me but I am not afraid.
That’s what happens when you inhale and exhale deeply with every movement.
It goes to your head.
You just don't get such brilliant illusions on the treadmill.
The melodic music, which could be from Bollywood for all I know, gives the class a special feel.
It’s not the same when the teacher’s ipod selects some wishy-washy version of a film sound track.
That happened last week and I was distracted from my Guerrerro positions because I was trying to guess what film it was from.
The soppy English lyrics killed off any spiritual element there might've been.
I wanted to ask him if he’d please change it but being half British it really goes against my genes to make a fuss.
Luckily it swapped back to the Indian chant.
My favourite bit about my yoga class is at the end when the teacher comes over and rubs tiger balm over my nose.
It stings a bit but it smells delicious and I feel myself drifting to sleep.
Pity I can’t go next week.
But not too much of a pity because I’ll be in Rome!
The Fiancé won the trip in a Peroni raffle. I’ve never been to Italy before so I’m very excited.
Yoga and Beer.
Happiness is about finding that balance.
I’ll tell you how it goes.
Until then… Arrivederci!

3 comments:

Nicola Hulks said...

Rome is AMAZING! Eat as much as you possibly can or you'll regret it later, oh and walk everywhere because even their bridges and regular side streets are beautiful. Have a fabulous time!

Anonymous said...

Ah, so this is who Peroni is? And here I was picturing an elegant man, who you met in your travels, who for some reason, felt so inclined to treat you and your fiancé to a Roman holiday :)

My friend's sister was just telling me all about Yoga. Previously, I had been under a similar misunderstanding as you. She is now so enthralled with it that she's taking classes so that she can become an instructor. Almost makes me want to take it up. Almost.

Shop Girl said...

Come on Skye, you have to try yoga once!!
Yes, Peroni is just a beer not our rich patron! My fiancé is v lucky, I've never known anyone to win a trip before. :)