Wednesday 19 November 2014

5 of the Best Things to Receive in the Post

5. Actual Letters 
It's quite rare to get a proper letter these days, isn't it? In the olden days, my friends and I used to write letters to each other as often as a character from a Jane Austen novel. Nowadays the top 3 things to pass through my letter box is a) fast food menus b) letters from estate agents c) bills for the previous tenant. Booooooring.



4. Flowers 
Yep, it's a classic. I don't think I've ever actually been sent flowers before, only given them face to face. Don't feel sorry for me though, a blog reader once sent me socks after I complained about cold feet. The only downside of getting flowers is having to locate a suitable vase. Mine are never quite the right size!*

(*don't let this minor problem put you off sending me flowers) 



3. Letter from your hero
I was only a fan girl for a brief moment in the 1994 when I etched E17 into my pencil case with my compass. Obviously I would have been thrilled to hear from them, or of course, the Spice Girls. It's got to be a great feeling to get a letter from someone who you look up to!  



2. A Baby 
It would be pretty alarming to get a baby in the post, but it would be much better than the traditional delivery method, which I've heard is both painful and gruesome. I work in an osteopathic clinic part time, and I reckon most of the women who go for treatment would be perfectly fine had their baby been delivered in a jiffy bag!


1. PROOF OF YOUR NOVEL 
Nothing compares to the feeling of having your book printed and bound in your hands. Yesterday I received the first paperback proof of The Temp. I have danced around the living room and now I'm mostly stroking its shiny cover. I absolutely love it and I hope you do too! 








... and I can relive the moment it arrived, forever, with this vine video!





Thank you post men and women out there. May your days be filled with sunshine and friendly dogs,  may everyone's letter box open smoothly and and without snapping back on your hands, or scratching you with that broom like fringe thing they put to keep the draft out... oh, and may you deliver all those pre-orders of The Temp as soon as you can! 






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I vote for books in general (especially if someone else has paid for them!) and chocolate :-)

Emily Benet said...

Thank you! Chocolate is a good one too. When I moved to Spain when I was 13, I wrote a letter to Cadburys to tell them Cadburys chocolate didn't taste the same in Spain and I missed it. They sent me a variety pack! It was brilliant :)