Wednesday 25 March 2015

The Big Move: Selling It All


I currently have six people watching my cupboard. They're not actually sitting in my bedroom waiting to see if it moves or anything, I've just put it on ebay.  

With 6 weeks left until we move to Spain, the pressure is mounting. It's time to sell the hardcore, heavy stuff. The 'collection only' items. 

It wasn't long ago we started buying things to make our rented flat more homely - a more stylish bed frame, a quality mattress, a sofa bed for guests - now we've got to find a way of recuperating some of the money.  

Every time I open a cupboard I find something big and heavy. I just came across the raclette oven we bought in a spirit of 'let's be more sociable and have friends over!' It probably weighs three times easyJet's luggage allowance.

"It's putting me off going," said the husband, this morning.

When I hear him worry, that's when I panic. He's a cool cucumber. All those things I would get into a flap about - upgrading phone contracts, switching energy providers, doing tax returns - he does all those things without breaking a sweat.    

"I'll sort it!" I said, hurriedly. "Leave the selling to me!"

I don't know how I'm going to shift all this stuff but I'm not letting a portable stone oven stop me going on an adventure!

Are we getting cold feet?

Yes. That's why we're moving to hotter climes.

Of course these next 6 weeks are going to be challenging, but if it were easy, everyone would be doing it, wouldn't they?

In the next blog post, I'll be worrying about giving up my income and saying goodbye to friends! Until then, thank you for reading!

             
           

             

3 comments:

Rae Stoltenkamp said...

Sorry to hear you're leaving these shores but as someone who hails from warmer climes I can sympathise fully. Only wish I could do the same thing.

I don't think you need to worry about leaving work behind since your writing is going to fly.

I just hope you'll still come and visit us sometimes and run those wonderful courses in between working on the next novel.

Wishing you and the hubby all the very best for the Big Move.

Rae

Emily Benet said...

Thanks Rae. That's very kind! I'm already booked to come back twice and I haven't even gone yet, so yes, I do plan to keep doing workshops! :) Thanks for your lovely wishes! X

Evelyn said...

You are really planning a big move! Spain is a wonderful country! You are making a great decision! Good luck! Greets! :)